Thursday, July 17, 2014

My New (Old) Thinkpad has arrived

I'm a big Thinkpad fanatic--have always been. Recently, I saw an old IBM T42p on eBay for $80 and immediately purchased it. I thought it was a good deal considering that it originally cost almost 3 grand in 2005. I have a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro that I used for work and when I need lots of computing power, but I love playing around with the Thinkpad for everything else




The laptop has a large and bright 14.1" screen with 1400x1050 resolution. It has a 1.8GHz processor and came with a 1.5 GB of RAM and a 60GB Hitachi HD.

It came with Windows XP SP3 installed and not much else. Since, XP is no longer support I've decided to run Xubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is supported until 2017. I opted for Xubuntu because of its resource friendly and works great on older machines.



This blog serves two purposes:

  1. A place for me to keep a record of everything I did to the system. This is essential because I know I will break the system in the future because I'm always messing around with configuration files and installing unstable applications from untrusted sources.
  2. I decided to keep a blog so that others trying to run linux on old Thinkpads can learn from my experience and avoid spending hours in forums looking for solutions to problems that I've already encountered and solved.
If anyone has any questions or advise, please contact me by leaving a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment